REST Industry Super has surveyed over 1,000 millennials aged between 18 and 40, discovering that these people want a home, not a retirement.
- Eighty-seven per cent of respondents said the dream of owning their own home is just as important to them as it was for their parents.
- Eighty per cent don't feel like they are on track to achieving it - increasing housing and living costs are to blame
- Just over half said they would rather save for a house than retirement
- About one-third said they are worried they would have to give up work to look after their parents, or that their parents will need financial support in retirement
- Forty per cent said they had no idea how they would fund their retirement
- Forty-six per cent are saving for retirement either via compulsory superannuation or personal investments