UBS announces wholesale head
UBS Asset Management Australia has named Ben Williams as head of wholesale. Williams will be in charge of building, implementing and monitoring the firm's engagement with investors. Williams is the former national manager of retail at Lazard Asset Management.
Fidelity appoints new director
Andrew Mathie has been appointed Fidelity’s director of wholesale sales. Mathie was previously a senior key account manager at Vanguard Investments.
Australian Ethical makes two senior appointments
Quyen Dam has been appointed Australian Ethical manager of adviser relationships, a newly-created role. Dam most recently worked at ING Bank in banking and business roles.
Joanne Robb has been announced as manager of partner relationships, a newly-created role. Robb most recently worked at IOOF as a key account executive.
Vanguard appoints Australian QEG head
Michael Roach has been appointed head of Vanguard’s Australian Quantitative Equity Group (QEG). Roach was previously Vanguard’s United States quantitative equities portfolio manager.
Westpac appoints independent director
Nerida Caesar has been appointed as an independent, non-executive director on Westpac’s board, effective 1 September. Caesar is currently the managing director of Equifax Australia and New Zealand, a director of Stone & Chalk, a non-executive director of Genome One and a member of the University of Technology Sydney Vice Chancellor's Industry Advisory Board, and the Federal Government's FinTech Advisory Group.
BlueBay opens Australian office
BlueBay Asset Management has appointed Ciaran McAssey as head of its new Melbourne office. McAssey is currently head of sales for Australia, New Zealand and Asia ex-Japan for BlueBay.
HFR announces 2017 award nominees
Hedge Funds Rock (HFR) and the Australian Alternative Investment Awards has announced the nominees for its 2017 awards:
Best Long Short Equity Fund
- Antipodes Global Fund
- LI Capital Long Short Fund
- Macquarie Australia Plus Fund
Best Global Macro/Futures Fund
- Kaiser Global Diversified Program
- Man AHL Evolution (AUD hedged)
- AE Capital Fully Geared USD Systematic FX Fund
Best Emerging Manager
- AIM Global High Conviction Fund
- Alleron Australian Eagle Trust Long-Short Fund
- Tribeca Global Natural Resources Fund - Class A units
Best Market Neutral Fund
- Bennelong Long Short Fund
- Macquarie Pure Alpha Fund
- Pengana PanAgora Absolute Return Global Equities Fund
Best Fixed Income and Credit Fund
- Janus Henderson Global Fixed Interest Total Return Fund
- JPMorgan Global Bond Opportunities Fund
- Alexander Credit Opportunities Fund
Best Multi Strategy Fund
- Aberdeen Multi Asset Real Return Fund
- Insight Investment Diversified Inflation Plus Fund
- MLC Wholesale Inflation Plus - Assertive Portfolio A
Best Listed Alternative Investment Product (new for 2017)
- Blue Sky Alternatives Access Fund Limited
- ETFS Physical Palladium
- PM CAPITAL Global Opportunities Fund Limited
Best Offshore Manager Operating in Australia
- Man Investments
- Partners Group
The award winner will be announced at the Shangri La Hotel in Sydney on 14 September 2017.
CBA chief executive to stand down
Commonwealth Bank chief executive Ian Narev is to step down from his position by the end of the 2018 financial year. This decision was said to be made by the board in conjunction with Narev.
QBE chief to step down
Following a poor performance in the division, QBE’s chief executive of emerging markets David Fried will step down. Fried will continue to work for QBE in a strategic advisory capacity.
Cbus executive to step down
Cbus has announced that its group executive of investment services and solutions, Trish Donohue, will be stepping down at the end of 2017. Donohue is a founding member of Cbus’ investment team and has been with the company for 17 years.